Monday, February 23, 2009

Coffee Shop Rant

I am really trying to support the little guy.

There is a coffee shop near our house called the Pastry Castle. It used to be something else..Java Somethingorother. That place went under because the woman running the place had no idea how to run a business. The coffee was fine, but the treats were boring. She kept trying to change the menu items, but it never really made it. The only time I thought she had a good idea was when she started advertising live music a couple of nights a week. That is the crowd she was trying to pull in. And it might have worked if they had stuck with it for a while.

But the location is such that it is inconvenient to find. You have to actually be looking for the place. It is completely surrounded by other restaurants so attracting the lunch crowd would be a tough gig. I say go after the coffee crowd. The only Starbucks in the area is in the Safeway. And we all KNOW that those aren't REAL Starbucks. And Tim Horton's is always packed, but that just means that people don't have a real alternative.Another thing this place could have going for it is the free(ish) MTS Wireless Internet. I added the 'ish' because you have to have an MTS user ID from an existing service in order to log in.

That in itself isn't the issue. The issue with this service offering is the reason why I am typing this entry while I am offline even though I am well within the range of the access point. They have a 2.4 GHz wireless phone. Every time they answer said phone, I have my connection severed. Is this the last straw? No. I will continue to patronize this place despite the apparent frivolity of my efforts. I'm quite sure that within the next few months I will be sitting here, drinking my latte produced by the NEW owner/barrista of my neighborhood coffee shop. And hopefully at some point in the future, the stars will align and I will finally have a neat little neighborhood coffee shop to patronize.

No comments:

Post a Comment