Saturday, August 1, 2009

Review - Princess Grill

I just got another response to my less than glowing (and far from official) review of the Lovey's BBQ restaurant. This has prompted me to consider that people are actually reading these musings so perhaps I should juxtapose my dissatisfaction with Lovey's with a thought stream about a restaurant I DO like.

Enter: the Princess Grill.

I don't know the history of this place, but I bet it's interesting. I saw a writeup in the Sun earlier this year, and thought I would try to make an effort to visit. Last week, I had some time, so I found myself a parking spot among the construction and went for breakfast.

The decor is clean and very basic. I like that in a breakfast place. I get nervous when there are hanging plants and doilies on the tables. You can count on your breakfast costing you a good dollar more just so you can have a plant near your table.

I was immediately greeted by a pretty, smiling face and given a menu and a coffee. I'm guessing Folgers. Hot and good. And served in one of those thick, white porcelain cups. Clear glass mugs are for the doily restaurant and giveaways at Domo.

I opted for the breakfast special: Sausage, Over Easy, and Brown toast. As I waited, I read the newspaper I brought. This proved to be a bit of a challenge. Note to future visitors, if you wish to read the paper, bring a headlamp, or sit closer to one of the many windows. I only had to wait about 10 minutes. Although I wish my eggs had shown up a couple minutes earlier. By the time the whole ensemble had made it to me, the eggs looked delicious, but they were rather cold.

The rest of the cast was excellent. The real potato hash browns were done nicely, and the sausages were split, but not overcooked. And the toast (hard to screw up toast) was hot and lightly buttered. I'd also like to note that the sausages were served on top of the potatoes. This is a nice presentation method.

One criticism I have about many breakfast joints, this one included, is the toast toppings and how they are offered. I dislike when the selection is decided for me and there is one jam packet placed on the plate with the toast. This was the case here. I would rather be given nothing and had to have asked for my preference than to have to appear to be dissatisfied with the selection given and ask for another. Some places have that top loading, bottom serving jam-a-rama deal that gives you ready access to 8 packets each of at least 6 flavors. This is the other side of the spectrum, and although appreciated, not necessarily required. A good middle road is the small bowl at the table with, say, a half dozen random packets in it. And as long as there is at least one peanut butter, and another non-marmalade choice, we're good.

Breakfast special including coffee came to slightly north of $7.00. Another 1.50 for the tip. I would have felt a bit better had the eggs been warm. But I will be back. I enjoyed it very much overall.

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps an address or co-ords for this fine establishment would be helpful. Yes, I could look it up but why should I? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Google tells me that the Princess Grill is located at 85 Princess Street in the Heart of the exchange district.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had lunch at the Princess Grill with a friend today and it was great. It’s clean and bright and I like the retro décor. I had the fish and chips special (not something I normally have at home) and it was delicious. My lunch, with a bottomless ice tea, cost a whopping $10.79.

    The restaurant filled up for lunch but we had our order taken quickly. The drinks came out right away and the food a short time after. Our waitress refilled our beverages and took away our plates and did it with a genuine smile on her face. These are little things, but having a happy and efficient server can really make dining out enjoyable. She was also super cute, which doesn’t say anything about the food or the next diner’s experience, but made me happy :)

    The food: the fish consisted of two big pieces of breaded white fish (I couldn’t say what) that were cooked nicely and not at all greasy. The fries were crisp and just slightly brown, cooked in nice fresh oil (not with the fish), and there were lots. Even the coleslaw was tasty – nicely creamy with a little vinegar tang and a just the right amount of spicy onions.

    My friend had a Gyro platter which came with a Greek salad AND fries and was huge! He too was happy.

    The Princess Grill gets two thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete