Monday, November 20, 2006

Grey Cup 2006

Today was a busy day. Mom is sick, Brooke is sick (but getting better). She has this persistent cough for the last 4 weeks. It is getting a bit looser now, and tonight she is hardly coughing at all. I hope she is done with this cold. I hope I don't get it.

Tannis has been sleeping much of the day. She seems to have borrowed some of Brooke's germs. I took the kids shopping at 11 this morning, but being Sunday, I forgot the stores didn't open till noon. So we went out for breakfast at the Southdale restaraunt. Yucky Eggs Benedict, and the kids had french toast (Brooke), and bacon and eggs (Mitch). I felt sorry for the waitress. It was ridiculously busy and there was not enough staff. Add to that that she was 6 months pregnant, and well, you have a pretty grim picture. I left her a 5 dollar tip. I hope she doesn't use it to buy crack.

We were shopping for toilet paper and garbage bags, items that had eluded our grasp on the past couple of outings. Why is it that if you forget to buy something, it is the most crucial thing possible. Anyhow, we managed to get the vital items. I was also intent on making some cool tapas for our Grey Cup Party this evening. I knew of the dinner that was being prepared for us...casserole. So I wanted to have a backup plan of edible food. The day before we had bought some cool crackers shaped like cups at Millers Meats. I decided to fill those with shrimp dip and top them with a thin slice of medium-rare steak - YUM! Second was the chicken skewers with a thai peanut sauce. And lastly, potato skins. But not just any potato skins, these were made with little new potatoes. LOTS of fussy work scooping them out, but with a bit of cheese and bacon, they were well worth the effort.

We had a nice time watching the game. One really nifty part was when the Snowbirds flew over after the National Anthem. Right after they flew over the stadium, they flew right over the house. It was neat!

The kids played under grandmas very watchful eye while Tannis slept on the couch and I watched the Lions win over the Alouettes. Pretty dull game overall, but it was nice to sit and watch a whole game. I only get to do that once or twice a year.

The tapas were a big hit, and the casserole (lazy lasagna - from a recipe) wasn't. Who puts corn in lazy lasagna...I mean really.

We loaded everybody up as soon as we could because grandma was kicking us out. It was a nice night out.

No comments:

Post a Comment