Tuesday, February 23, 2010

For the sake of my country, I will stop watching the Olympics.

At least when Canada is competing.  It feels like I am something of a pox for the Canadian athletes.  More often than not, when I am watching the telecast of an Olympic event, our team loses.  Oh sure, you could argue that there are others who are watching as much of the Olympics as I am and this surely can't be my fault.  But I present for your assessment the following scenario. Sunday's hockey game between the American and Canadian men.
Spectators had barely taken their seats when USA pumps one in the net.  Crap. Thinking I had time to run upstairs at tend to the seasoning of the broiling chicken wings, I leave the room and head to the kitchen, only to hear that the Canadians have scored.  Good news, but what the hell?  Why am I not allowed to see that?  So I return to my seat only to witness a short time later a goal by the Americans.  This continued as the game progressed. Leave the room to make dipping sauce for shrimp, Canada scores, return to my seat, Brodeur flops.  I still regret not leaving the room during that last ditch effort by Canada at the end of the 3rd period.  I may have been the reason we didn't tie it up.
Although, I am watching the live feed as I type this, and I see Canada's Ashleigh McIvor has won the gold medal in Ladies Ski Cross!  Woohoo!  So maybe I can be a spectator.  But I will only use the Internet.  Maybe it's the inherent time delay that saves our athletes from my bad mojo.

No comments:

Post a Comment