Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Back from Vacation!


We have spent the past week at Luther Village just past Rushing River, Ontario. Awesome. The weather was perfect (if not a little too hot the first few days). The kids had a great time talking part in the morning programs and the beach was the agenda for most of the afternoons.

We spent the week with Don and Michelle and their brood. They had a cabin on the beach, while we camped in the ball field at the top of the hill. This was nice as we had a place for the kids to change and play indoors if the sun got too hot. It didn't hurt that they had a fridge for us to use when our ice packs needed re-freezing, or our drinks needed chilling.

Michelle's sister showed up from BC for the last couple of days. It was kinda funny as I didn't know she was there until she plopped down next to me at the picnic table. As she and Michelle are very close in general looks, I just turned to her and said "Hello". Then in my head, I'm like "WTF? Did Michelle just go and pluck her eyebrows? And then go to the gym?" Thank God Michelle's Dad was there to make the introductions. Renee is a fun person. A little mannish...ok, ALOT mannish. But that's fine for her. If I were making a team on Survivor, I would likely pick her.

I placed a geocache there on the Bog Walk. The view at the end is awesome. You can see for about 60 KM. Well worth the hike. It is only 800m or so, but much of it is on a pretty steep grade, so I don't expect alot of finders. It was a last minute cache, so we had to buy the container on one of our trips into Kenora and I had to hand write the stash note. The camp owner seemed enthusiastic about the cache, so we'll see how it goes.

We prepared all of our own meals there. That turned out to be a huge cost saver. Even though we had to do dishes every time we ate, it still worked out to be the best idea. I don't mind cleaning and cooking. And thankfully, Tannis managed the laundry and the (constant) cooler re-organization. I think the only casualty was a bag or two of perogies. And that was actually my fault. I sure am lucky to have her.

The kids slept great. Brooke only got up once. And it wasn't a big deal. She just came and watched us play cards and went back to bed on her own a few minutes later. With all of the sun and swimming, we all slept like logs most nights. There was one night that Tannis had trouble getting to sleep over the noisy neighbors, but othere than that. All was good.

The last night was capped off by having the Swiston-Armstrongs up to our campsite for a good old-fashioned cookout. It went great! Burgers, dogs, bacon, fried onions, beans...and paralyzers. I think I have a new favorite drink. Although, I think I need to lay off the liquor for a while and let my body de-toxify. That was a little excessive.
After the meal, the kids had fun with sparklers and then everyone had s'mores. Yummy.

It was overall a really nice time. Unlike camping trips in the past when we are ready to go home before it is time, we could have stayed another night. But we did have a concert to go to on Monday. Everyone, except the driver, had a nap on the way home in the van. We got home to find our house still standing (always a good sign).

Unfortunately, while we were gone, Toshya's grandfather passed away. He was 739 years old, and they had been expecting it for well over a year, but he was a really nice person and will definitely be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment